Why do I call this piece, "Deprivation?" For the most part, I want to leave this piece open for interpretation, each element of the piece can be looked at a different way (depending on viewpoint); in fact, I am encouraging this, and would really like to see some feedback. However, the driving rationale of the piece was the irony of the tomato cage frames to help the roses grow upright and the simultaneous act of depriving the roses from soil (an essential component to their existence, providing necessary nutrients needed in photosynthesis). In addition to this, the relatively extreme conditions of the roses surrounding further hindered their survival and existence. I feel that this is analogous to oppression in several different societies around the world and throughout history (a social allegory of some sort). Many of these societies did not blatantly reveal the oppression that their citizens were subject to, however there is no doubting the existence of such "deprivation" of even the most basic of needs. Soil, is analogous to freedom of thought (speech, etc.) and the most basic human rights. From far away, it seems that the tomato cages are helping the roses to grow and survive; they did retain their pink color over the first couple days. However, the truth is that these are merely facades (analogous to the bogus programs and laws set forth by oppressive regimes to distract those that it oppresses; a common theme in these cultures is religion, used as an excuse to commit such atrocities). The result is the eventual wilting away of these people (or roses) and their ultimate demise. Without basic human rights, there is no way that a fulfilling life can be had; many lives throughout history have been wasted by such "deprivation."
Some artistic considerations I incorporated (as described in earlier posts), is the creation of a gravel cairn (since it is not made of stones, the definition is kind of skewed), and the utilization of roses (purity, innocence and feminism), overall symmetry and concentric circles (as in many forms of prehistoric art). Also, I have created a feature that is quite noticeable and one that involves the manipulation of a certain "land form." It is also a dynamic piece, due to the use of the roses, which are living, breathing organisms. I tried to capture pictures at periods of the first day, second day, and a week after the conception of the piece. These are present chronologically in sets of three in the following pictures.

4 comments:
Very nice Shervin. I especially enjoy the metaphor w/out the "total" explanation - leaving the viewer to come to their own conclusion. A reference to the text may have benefited the description, but all in all this is a very good piece. And the size of the stone does not a cairn make! Your documentation and previous inspiration-references are also good ... nice job.
Oh ... after reading more I see the references to the text :) ... !!!!
Ya, its totally understandable... I tried to have a sort of unveiling with other posts... but it was accelerated, so people saw the final product first (which was not my intention; but final exams do not comply with intentions). Instead, I tried incorporating the book and other sources earlier as to building up concepts with an element of surprise. Didn't work, but overall, I think the message comes across the same way.
This reminds me of that thing that we saw in class once, it was almost like a big ramp created out of the ground! This looks similar to it, although the other was much larger I think.
Post a Comment